Sunday, May 29, 2011

Review: Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? by Max Brallier ★★★★★

Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?Before we start, a big thank you Max Brallier for sending me a signed copy of this book to review.

That out of the way, I can sum up this review in 5 words: "Yes, it is that awesome."

I love zombies, so when I saw 1) that such a thing as a zombie choose-your-adventure book existed, and 2) that I could get a signed copy to review, I jumped ALL over that! And I'm thrilled that I did. This book is fantastic, cover to cover. Speaking of the cover, it is great. I love the vintage look it has, as if it's a well-read 70s favorite paperback melded with a graphic novel. I love both versions of the cover art, and the artwork inside is amazing. Pen and ink, comic-book style sketches that perfectly fit and complement the stories inside.

I don't think that I've read all of the variations and storylines yet - there are a surprising amount of them in the book. So many that it could keep me busy for a LONG time going through them. I read a whole lot of them though, and not a single one disappointed me at all. They were everything I've always wanted in zombie fiction: Well thought out, believable, well written, vicious, original and interesting, with just the perfect amount of humor thrown in.

I liked and could identify with the characters, especially me (AKA: the main character), who was a perfect blend of Regular Joe and Rambo as needed and as fit the story for the choices made. The secondary characters were very human (until they weren't anymore). I loved the tension of reading this, not knowing if my choice would be the right one, or if it would be the one that led to disaster.

I could continue to rave about this book... but really, all I have to say is this: If you love zombie fiction, this book is a must read.

View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I want to read this one! It looks really good for some reason and your review is making me even more enthusiastic about it. I'm kind of a closeted zombie lover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw it was a zombie book I thought "Yay". Then I saw it was a CYOA book and thought "I have to have it". After your review, I'm glad my instincts were right. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it. I hope you both enjoy it as much as I did!!

    ReplyDelete