Saturday, June 2, 2012

May Reading Wrap Up

Cumulative Books Read in 2012: 66
Books Read This Month: 13
Difference from previous month: +4
Avg Rating: 3.07 Stars
Difference from previous month: -0.13 stars
Pages Read: 4,076
Difference from previous month: +1,089 pages


OK- So May wasn't terrible... It really wasn't the BEST reading month I've had, there were some real clunkers, but overall, I've read more so that's a plus. :)

For the Real Life Bookclub:

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was amazing. I don't think I would have ever picked up this book, if not for my bookclub, but I was blown away by it. I thought it was well-written, and intriguing, and immensely thought-provoking. It was surprisingly sympathetic as well, and brutally honest, which is exactly what it should have been. Definitely one for the re-read pile.

The Awesome:

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a great book. I loved Butcher's take on fairies, and his books never fail to entertain. I've just started the 7th book in the series (Summer Knight was the 4th) so I'm definitely hooked! Highly recommend this series. :D

The Good:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this book once I got into it. I thought that the epistolary format worked pretty well, and I liked the characters and the feeling of the time. It wasn't really as emotional as I'd have expected it to be, but still very enjoyable and worth reading.

The Bad:

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

This was really one of the worst written books I've ever read. 3rd graders have better command of punctuation and grammar than this guy. Oy. This was really bad, to the point where it was almost funny, but still. Just... Just bad. Save yourself the red ink and read something else. You're not missing anything with this one.

Did Not Finish:

Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I just... could not... continue reading. It was like wading through quicksand. Blah. I'm not even taking the time to link and whatnot.

2 comments:

  1. 13 books read in one month sounds pretty impressive to me! I agree with you about the Guernsey book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I really enjoyed Guernsey, until the end, which I thought lost focus. When I read it, I didn't know that Mary Ann Shaffer died and Annie Barrows took over writing the book - but I think that explains why I felt like I did.

    ReplyDelete