Monday, March 5, 2012

Reading Plan: March & Musing Monday

Whoopsie! I forgot to post this this weekend, so I'm combining it with my Musing Monday post. See... what had happened was... I got a little addicted to Hoarders... and watched ENTIRELY TOO MANY EPISODES OF IT. Like, seriously, probably three full seasons. I don't watch TV very often, but sometimes a show just fascinates me. This one did. It's kinda disturbing.

Anywho... moving along!

Goal: Read 3 books a week to meet my goal of 160 books for 2012.

Last week, I finished:
  • Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton (DNF)
  • Grave Peril (Dresden Files #3) by Jim Butcher
  • We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Coming up:
This month is going to be a crazy, crazy reading month for me. I have 9 books that I've committed to reading for group read discussions, my bookclub, or for review... that all seem to be going on simultaneously. And of course the shortest one of them is 350 pages. Did I mention Les Miserables? Because that's THIRTEEN HUNDRED PAGES. O_O

So, because of this hectic schedule, I'm just going to show the full month schedule that I've created. This was inspired by a friend's reading schedule, so I can't take full credit. But when you see it, please, no throwing things at the Nerd. Or me. :P


Yep.  So, what you see there (if you can see that - click to largify) is the number of pages of each book that I intend to read each day. Green highlighted cells are when the book has been finished. If I stick to this... I'll be good. If not, well... *twitch* I should probably commit to less. :P

What is on the agenda for your reading list this week (or month)?

--------------------

This week's Musing:
When you walk into a bookstore — any bookstore — what's the first section you head toward?

For me, it's almost always the Stephen King shelves in the Horror section. I don't know why, because I own everything he's written except Full Dark, No Stars and 11/22/63 & a couple of his graphic novels... but I still love seeing them there. All lined up on the shelf and pretty. All the stories I love. It makes me happy to see them available to others to buy and experience and love. :D

After that, I head to the Fantasy section, which is new to me, and still overwhelming. I've been reading a lot of fantasy lately, but I rely heavily (I mean HEAVILY) on recommendations, because the Fantasy section in the store is so big and there's so much to choose from and I'm not enough of a genre reader to know what's good... or brave enough to buy sight-unseen.

Last year, I might have headed to the Teen/YA section next, but lately I've been very unimpressed by YA stuff I've read. So I've been reading less of it. It's sad, but true. It's just not as GOOD as it once was. :( So now I head to the Fiction & Literature section and browse around there. Classics, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, books books books galore.

I rarely ever buy... I just browse. I have to control the urge to buy because I just don't have the room. And I do not -- repeat, DO NOT -- want to end up on Hoarders, living in a maze of book piles. The booklover in my brain is saying, "Wait... That actually sounds pretty cool. Can we do that? Is that a thing we can do? Live in a book maze!??" & the rational part of my brain is screaming "FIRE HAZARD! RATS! BUGS! DUST! COLLAPSE!!"

Alright, alright already. You win, Rational Brain.


...This time.

6 comments:

  1. That's quite a line up. Good luck. I'm reading some Ian Fleming right now. But I've got to spend more time on my writing. I'm hoping to read The Enchantress of Florence so I can make some comments on Goodreads. Not sure yet if I'll make it.

    I usually head first for the classics section of bookstores, then meander from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Richard. I definitely want to read Fleming one day. I've seen a lot of the Bond films, but I've never read any of the books. I should work on that! :)

    ---

    Thanks, Kell :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Hoarders answer! So true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I'll be able to read chunks that big of Les Miz :P we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the exact same booklover brain vs. rational brain argument all the time.

    ReplyDelete