Sunday, June 27, 2010

In My Mailbox (2) & What are you Reading?

"In My Mailbox" is a weekly meme hosted over at The Story Siren in which we can share the books that we've acquired that week with the world -- or at least the little piece of it that reads my blog. :)

"What are you Reading?" is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila from BookJourney where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week. It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Alrighty... My boyfriend has got the camera today, so I can't take any book photos myself (at least not any decent ones, and the camera in my phone is horrid), so we'll be using images from the 'net today.Sorry, no Alfie or Indica cat-pics today. Oh, also...You might notice a little bit of a pattern this week regarding the books that I got. I noticed it last night and had a little bit of a chuckle over it. Let's see, shall we?

Bought:

First up, we have As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann.
Description: Torn in two by a vicious civil war, seventeenth-century England was the scene of extraordinary violence. Among the soldiers traveling the country from one deadly battle to another is Jacob Cullen, a former servant who dreams of baptizing himself with the blood of battle into a new life after the war. Only his brewing erotic obsession with a fellow fighter threatens his plans. (From Goodreads)

I bought this one at my library's booksale. It's the only one that really caught my eye and said "BUY ME!!", and so I made it out surprisingly easily with one book for $1. I'm proud of myself!

Library Books:

Next, we have The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn.
Description: With a modest inheritance and the three gowns that comprise her entire wardrobe, Theodora leaves Edinburgh — and a disappointed suitor — far behind. She is bound for Roumania, where tales of vampires are still whispered, to visit an old friend and write the book that will bring her true independence.
She arrives at a magnificent, decaying castle in the Carpathians replete with eccentric inhabitants: the ailing dowager; the troubled steward; her own fearful friend, Cosmina. But all are outstripped in dark glamour by the castle's master, Count Andrei Dragulescu.
Bewildering and bewitching in equal measure, the brooding nobleman ignites Theodora's imagination and awakens passions in her that she can neither deny nor conceal. His allure is superlative, his dominion over the superstitious town, absolute — Theodora may simply be one more person under his sway.
Before her sojourn is ended — or her novel completed — Theodora will have encountered things as strange and terrible as they are seductive. For obsession can prove fatal...and she is in danger of falling prey to more than desire.
(From Goodreads)

This was something of a whim, as Allison over at The Allure of Books keeps raving about Raybourne's series (the Lady Grey series) and I want to try it, but I couldn't remember anything about the series while I was at the library, of course, so I got this instead. We shall see! :)


I also got Naked In Death by J.D. Robb
Description: It is the year 2058, and technology now completely rules the world. But New York City Detective Eve Dallas knows that the irresistible impulses of the human heart are still ruled by just one thing-passion.

When a senator's daughter is killed, the secret life of prostitution she'd been leading is revealed. The high-profile case takes Lieutenant Eve Dallas into the rarefied circles of Washing-ton politics and society. Further complicating matters is Eve's growing attraction to Roarke, who is one of the wealthiest and most influential men on the planet, devilishly handsome . . . and the leading suspect in the investigation...
(From Goodreads)

This was another recommendation from Allison. She persuaded me to read this one, so I read it last night and really enjoyed it. Steamy and entertaining and fast-paced. Really enjoyable. :)

So, as for what I read this week:

I mentioned that I read Naked In Death by J.D. Robb... Look for my review on Monday!
Also I read Annie On My Mind by Nancy Garden... Look for my review on Tuesday!
And Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen for Jane in June. View my review!
I also read a secret book in order to make a bookmark inspired by it... As people who are participating in the bookmark swap also follow my blog, I can't mention the book... but I will say to look for a review of it at a later date. Oooh, don't you just LOVE a mystery?? ;)

Upcoming this week:

I plan to read:
Airman by Eoin Colfer
Sold by Patricia McCormick
If I Stay by Gayle Forman (These three are part of the giveaways that I'm hosting!)
The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn
and The Passage by Justin Cronin (if I have time).

I've had a long standing arrangement with Fiona over at The Book Coop that we'd re-read the Harry Potter series in July, and I hope to be able to do that. But things are a little complicated, because I'll be flying out to San Francisco on July 14th for my brother's wedding, and so my reading plans will probably have to take a backseat to that... *sigh*

So anywho... That's what I got In My Mailbox and What I'm reading this week... What about you? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment