Wednesday, September 15, 2010

September Book Ban - Mid-way point

September is already half over! This means that summer is officially gone, fall is almost here, and winter is right around the corner. My birthday is coming up in 9 days, and so far, I've been a really good girl when it comes to not acquiring new books, and I've done pretty well in the reading department too!

So far this month I've read:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Gunpowder
The Haunting of Hill House
Angels, Sinners & Madmen
and The Reapers are the Angels

I'm currently reading The House of the Spirits and The Bride (which is for Smut-tember!). Not too shabby!

But still I've been tempted... very tempted to buy books. I went to Barnes & Noble to drool over look at the nook again, because I really think that this will be my next book related purchase. While there, my boyfriend wanted to browse, and he left me unchaperoned in my own personal Temptation Zone. He's a very cruel boy, and one day he will pay.

But I succeeded in being strong and not getting any new books. (Although I did have a minor panic attack when I noticed that they had rearranged the store since my last visit, and I couldn't find their horror section anymore... or more importantly, where they hid Stephen King. I couldn't leave until I'd found him, and was very disappointed when I discovered that he was shunted all the way to the back, like they thought of him as that drunk uncle who always tells the one embarrassing story you wish he'd just forget already because it happened 20 years ago and nobody thinks its funny so maybe he won't be invited to the next get-together, but in the meantime, lets just seat him far away from the NORMAL people at dinner. HMPH. I love you, Stephen King, even if Barnes & Noble doesn't!)

The real temptation was the discount store where the Boy buys paint for his artwork... They sell EVERYTHING there, and they have a rather large discount book section, where Hardcover books are usually around $4 and Paperbacks are $2. And they were having a 1/2 price sale. Every book. It's like they knew I was coming in, and they wanted to make me suffer. Jerks.

I held my own though! I browsed... I touched and held and admired the books, but I did not purchase any. TAKE THAT OLLIE'S!

So... Half the month is gone and I've been good. Hopefully, the 2nd half of the month will go well also! Wish me luck!

If you're refraining from new book purchases this month, whether officially or not, let me know how you're doing. There's safety in numbers, you know! :P

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up! I had to ban myself from buying books once we got serious about paying off student loans. Now I am 100% addicted to our amazing public library. Although I did have to buy Mockingjay... Have a great afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo...very well done! I have to admit, I had to keep myself from buying Ape House by Sara Gruen today at Target. I picked it up, thumbed through it, and bought a video game for my husband so that he could play and I could read in the evenings! I have no read nearly as much as you have, but I have gotten a few review books done! Keep it up and can't wait to see your final tally at the end of the month! :)

    ReplyDelete