Thursday, September 30, 2010

Character Connection (3): Samhain Corvus LaCroix - Scroggins Style

Character Connection is a weekly meme hosted by Jen at The Introverted Reader every Thursday.

It's Banned Book Week, as I'm sure you all know, and in honor of this, I've decided to do another post in the style of censorship's most recently vocal spokesperson: Wesley Scroggins, Morality Judge of the WORLD. Enjoy!

(Note: There will be non-specific story spoilers!)

Scroggins Would Say: "I cannot even express how dangerous "Hold Me Closer, Necromancer" is to impressionable teens. Not only does it seek to corrupt them into practicing occult rituals, but it is underhanded and tricky in doing so. Just look at the main character's name! "Sam" - an innocent and biblical name, or so you think! His name is actually Samhain, which is PAGAN - one step away from SATANIC! And furthermore, "Sam" (I can't bring myself to type that pagan word again), isn't an ordinary teen working at a fast food restaurant like a responsible member of society, as he first appears, but is in fact a NECROMANCER. That's right. He is able, through unholy black magic and pagan ceremonies, to bring back and control the dead.

"Sam" and his friends are vulgar and irresponsible (lying to police and covering up several crimes!) and cruel to the only normal boy in the story. Don't believe for one moment that they are the "good guys"! There are NO "good guys" in a book for young adults that promotes this type of behavior as well as witchcraft and the occult and necromancy and SEX. Oh yes, "Sam" has sex... with a non-human... and enjoys it. Luckily, I do not believe there was mention of prophylactics involved!

This book should be avoided at all costs. It contains subject matter that is unsafe for any moral reader to handle. Do not be fooled by the "humor" or the themes of camaraderie or understanding or acceptance - these are not honestly come by - they are requirements of the cult of which "Sam" is a recruiting member!"

My Thoughts:
Of course the above represents the most ridiculous arguments against the book that I could come up with...  This is a fantasy book, and so, like Harry Potter, the reader understands that the magical and supernatural parts of the story are not real. It seems only those who seek to censor these types of books fail to see the difference.

I personally loved the book, and Sam is a great character. He is brave and loyal and tries to do the right thing even when everything around him is going wrong. Sam struggles with learning who he really is, which is something that ALL teenagers cope with, necromancers or not. Sam is brilliant, funny, honest, and accepting of peoples' differences. These are the things that matter, not those things we cannot control.

For my full and glowing review, click here.

Censorship... That way lies madness.

5 comments:

  1. "Luckily, I do not believe there was mention of prophylactics involved!"

    Oh my gosh, Becky, you are going to cause me to hurt myself laughing one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha Awesome post! You captures the very essence of Mr Scroggins aka I Hate Good Books. You had me laughing, truly.:)Well, I definitely like the character of Sam, both "Scroggins's" presentation of him and yours.I guess his biggest flaw is that he has sex.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Thank you for adding this satirical homage to the list of why-I-like-banned-book-week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! I'm glad that you all enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. While I agree with JG on the great line of the "Scroggins" parody, I also like this one:

    "Sam struggles with learning who he really is, which is something that ALL teenagers cope with, necromancers or not."

    ReplyDelete