Wednesday, February 1, 2012

January 2012 Reading Wrap Up

Because I kinda like lists, I think I'll start doing a monthly wrap up with my choices for the Great, the Good, and the Bad, and the DNF. Sounds fun, right? Sure, sure, just humor me. ;)

Books Read: 15
Avg Rating: 3.27 Stars
Pages Read: 3,596


The Great:
The End of the PartyThe End of the Party by Graham Greene
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a short story (and by short, I mean SHORT -- it's only 6 pages long), so I hemmed and hawed a bit before deciding to feature this one. But the more I think about it, the more I know it deserves to be right where it is, topping this list. This little story packs a wallop. It's easily one of the best short stories I've ever read, and I've read a lot of them. This is the kind of story that sticks with you for a long, long time. I highly recommend reading it. You can find it here for free online.

The Good:
The Man in the High CastleThe Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This one is pretty dang different than my usual reading fare, but I really enjoyed it. It made me cringe, it made me think, it made me very glad that we didn't lose to Germany and/or Japan in WWII!

If you haven't had a chance to read this one, I'd say to give it a chance. It's intriguing and unique, that's for sure!

The Bad:
The Death Cure The Death Cure by James Dashner
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

After loving The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure just belly flopped into the pool of What The Hell?! and soaked me in a wave disappointment.

It was illogical, a huge cop-out, and just plain bad. Maddeningly, infuriatingly, Hulk-needs-to-smash-this, atrociously bad.

DNF:
The God KillersThe God Killers by David Simpson
My rating: 1 of 5 stars (Did Not Finish)

I thought this book's premise was very intriguing, and that it definitely has potential. Unfortunately, the writing just made reading the book extremely hard, and it overwhelmed the story.

I don't consider myself to be an overly critical reader, but I just can't recommend this one. If it was re-worked and edited, I think it has definite potential to be a good book. But as it was when I attempted it (because I just couldn't continue reading it), it needs a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment