Tuesday, February 7, 2012

So, You Say You're Not A Reader, Eh?

Then what are you doing reading book blogs?! ;) Just kiddin'!

After reading Allison's last Top Ten Tuesday post, I thought it looked like fun and decided that I would do one... or maybe more... to try to stick to my resolution of blogging more consistently and such. So, here goes. This week's theme is...
"Books you'd give to someone who says they aren't a reader."

If you don't already know, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. :)



10) Soulless by Gail Carriger
This is an entertaining book with an intriguing, smart, funny, take-no-prisoners heroine who just happens to not have a soul. But she does have great fashion sense. ;) This is very quick and light read, and if you like it, you can continue on right away-- there are three more in the series already published, and the 5th book is due out in a few months!

9) The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
For those people who don't like fiction (*cough* like my boyfriend), this is non-fiction and very interesting and relevant. I highly recommend it, for everyone.

8) Nightmares & Dreamscapes by Stephen King
This is a fantastic collection of stories. They range from horror to fantasy to sci-fi to thriller, but they are all expertly written and compelling. If you're not into committing to a full-length novel, maybe short stories would be more your thing?

7) The Princess Bride by William Golding
Exciting, funny, romantic, and whimsical. Not loving it is INCONCEIVABLE! O_o

6) A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
I admit, this might seem like an odd choice, but I've already seen it work! Wooo! This book is exciting, intriguing, filled with amazing characters and plotting, and it is just unputdownable. Don't believe me... give it a try. ;)









5) Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
This book is really fantastic. Amazing world-building, interesting and unique magic system, great characters and just a wonderful story, not to mention it's just plain exciting to read. Highly recommended. I loved it, and this book made me a Brandon Sanderson insta-fan.

4) American Gods by Neil Gaiman
If you're into mythology... this one is for you. This book is a mythology lover's dream, and all worked into a brilliantly smart and compelling modern fantasy story. My favorite of Neil Gaiman's books, and that's saying a lot.

3) Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen
This is my favorite Austen. I just love the contrasts between the characters: Marianne's reckless abandon vs Elinor's reserved decorum. Not to mention the romantic aspect, and how one never seems to get just what one wants. This is a classic, but it's readable and lovely.

2) The Shining by Stephen King
This is for the horror lovers who might love the movie but have never read the book. Maybe a cross-over book might help to kick-start their reading. The book is more subtle, the characterizations are much better and more fleshed out, and it's awesomely creepy. This book will burrow into your head and stay there... Forever...

1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
I'd be horribly remiss if I didn't include Harry Potter on this list, since it's probably the book most responsible for creating new readers since reading was invented. Or... maybe 2nd. But still. This is a great story, full of wonderful characters that you just can't help but love, a whole magical world you'll wish was real, and a whole series of books to cherish forever. What's not to love?

Now scoot! Get reading! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by Shock Doctrine, which I've never read of. I'm on a non-fiction kick this year so I'll have to check it out.

    Yay for Mistborn, Harry Potter and SK! I obviously agree with those since they're on my list too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A big YES to The Princess Bride. How can you not love the book and the movie?

    Alison at The Cheap Reader

    ReplyDelete